Wednesday 2 June 2010

Grand Theft China Town Wars

I'm not really too much of a gamer but I've loved Grand Theft Auto from the very release. From the 2D graphics of the first and second to the stunnig intricatacies of their most recent release, Grand Theft Auto IV, they've always been a favourite. That's why I had to download Chinatown Wars for the iPhone, and I've go to hand it to Rockstar Leeds, they haven't failed to impress.

I was a little dubious when I saw the opening sequence, although the illustrations we're beautiful I was expecting something more. That being said, my doubt dissapeared as soon as the gameplay arrived. Rockstar have found an impressive middle ground between the birds eye view of the first couple of games and the 3D graphics we're accustomed to nowadays. I'm sure there are many different reasons for chosing to build the game with this view, the processing power of the iPhone/iPod Touch must have come into it, but I don't feel it's a compromise at all.



The controls feel very natural. The joystick on the left takes up very little room and the area in which you can move it only fades in when you are using it. The driving controls also work brilliantly, using some subtleties to save room, for instance you only have accelerate and brake buttons, but slide your thumb from the accelerate to brake button and it pulls the handbrake, this feels very natural. Another nice little touch is that vehicles will align to the road when roughly inline, which saves a lot of adjustments.

Rockstar also incorporate some attitional elements, increasing interactivity when using a touch screen. Occasionally a frame opens in the bottom corner instructing the user to complete a task before they can continue. In the opening scene, your car is driven off the peer into the sea, you have to tap the screen to smash the car's windscreen so that you can escape. If you break into a stationary car you have to use a screw driver, PDA or hot wire to start the engine. Nice little touches.


My one critism has to be the sound effects, with such brilliant graphics, fantastic interactions, a huge map (Liberty City) and beautiful illustrations the arcade like sounds are a real let down. 

This is only an initial review, and It is one of the most expensive app's I've bought but so far it's the best £5.99 I've spent.

Click here for the iTunes link

Posted via email from crab creative

No comments: